Monday, March 16, 2009

Suburban Lawns-S/T

Photobucket

When I first heard this record, I was fifteen and I hated it. But my taste has slightly changed, and now I cant get enough. Some songs are just a little too weird for me, but classics such as "Green Eyes" will explain just why I am putting this post up. To me the lawns sound like a mixture of early Gang Of Four, every era Wire has had, and 70's LA punk (Weirdos, Eyes, X.) I can definitely hear where Mike Watt and D. Boone got the Minutemen sound from. ( I know SL played some shows with The Reactionaries, which is their band pre Minutemen) The lawns hailed from Long Beach California, and all attended art school (no shit). I know that in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" there is a Suburban Lawns poster on the wall of someones bedroom. Rodney from Rodney on the Roq gave "Gidget Goes To Hell" tons of play when this debuted in '79. I think they actually had some chart success. Whatever. Here is the classic, long out of print Suburban Lawns-S/T.

No comments: